Friday, 19 July 2013
Bandana, bandana, bandana
Sadly a friend's mother died earlier this year and he's been sorting through her belongings. His mother enjoyed sewing and all kinds of different crafts, and he kindly gave me lots of fabric.
In amongst it were these three unused bandanas
aren't the colours gorgeous?
After much pondering as to what I could do with them, I cut them into strips and made some patchwork. This is one piece
Then using the free Colette Sorbetto pattern which I've used before here, I used the patchwork for the front. I omitted the pleat down the middle because I didn't think I would have enough fabric. I made another piece of patchwork for the back using the remaining strips and the offcuts from the front. Unfortunately I was one piece short, but not to worry...
I'd already decided to use a turquoise sash belt from a skirt, for the binding, and once I'd unpicked it, there was quite a bit a fabric.
So I used that for the final patch. I thought it might stand out too much because it was plain, so I got my black fabric paint out to add some pattern. I hadn't used the paint for years and when I opened it, it had dried up.
So onto plan B.... I used a permanent marker pen. It'll probably wash off as permanent things often do when you don't want them to (do it by accident and you'll never get it out!). If it does I'll get some fabric paint and do it properly.
I made bias binding out of the sash for the neck and armholes. It isn't required on the pattern, but I also bound the bottom. As it was on the straight I didn't cut the binding for that on the bias.
In the photo below you can see the plain fabric that I drew on, to the far left
and Spaghetti sneaking into the picture on the right!
Bias binding round neck and armhole