Sunday 7 September 2014

Going ape



At the beginning of the week I went to Go Ape at Buxton with my daughter.  For anyone who hasn't heard of it, it's a tree top adventure where you cross from tree to tree by different methods, go down zip wires and swing into cargo nets.   We've been to the one at Sherwood Forest before, so knew what to expect, although all the courses around the country are different.   
You're kitted out with a harness and have a full safety briefing before you're sent off on your own.

Here's my daughter on a few of the crossings


This stirrups one was slow going because with them being on long ropes, as soon as you put your foot in one it sent it away and you did the splits!  It was very tiring trying to hold the ropes as close to your body as possible to minimise that, although you got the knack eventually.





Some of them like this next one, you're supposed to do without holding on to anything, which is pretty scary because they wobble about quite a bit


I managed to land on my feet at the end of all the zip wires, except the last one where I came in backwards and got pockets full of bark chippings!

I can highly recommend it, and the one at Buxton is only a 20 minute walk from the train station so very handy.



6 comments:

  1. Rather you than me! Great photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow - there's no way I could have done that unless I was holding on like tight murder. Well done both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a little scary but fun! Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to go on one of these days - looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I went to Go Ape Buxton exactly a year ago for a hen party. I stayed on the ground taking photos as I am a wuss!!!! You are brave! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, you didn't have to wear a safety helmet?! Buxton is only up the road from me, I go there often but I've never done the Go Ape as I have an aversion to health and safety, haha, I couldn't face wearing a hard hat! I might give it a go one day now! Looks like you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete