Friday 26 October 2012

Knitted cowl



I'm not really a lover of long scarves.  
I like my neck to be warm in the cold weather, but I can't be doing with long bits dangling down because I tend to get them caught in things or they slide off me.  Plus they take a lot of room up in my bag if I've made the mistake of going shopping in one and have to take it off because the shops are too hot.

When I saw a knitted cowl that Alex had made on Daisie Days I thought it would be just right.  That was last winter and I never got round to knitting one, but when Alex showed another one recently and emailed me the instructions, I had to get cracking.
The pattern called for super chunky yarn and 10 or 12mm needles.
My biggest needles are 8mm, and as I wanted to get on with it, that's what I used and improvised with some purple and blue double knitting out of my stash, knitted together.



I cast on a few extra stitches to allow for the difference but figured it wasn't vital and you just keep knitting until you get the length you want.

Obviously mine isn't as chunky as it should be but I'm really pleased with the end result and I love the colours together



14 comments:

  1. That's really lovely. Love the colours, the buttons and everything. I would like to have a go at knitting a cowl - hopping over to Daisie Days right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant!! The sea-like colours are fab. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a snug idea :o) The colours are lovely.
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might need one of these! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea for walking the dog on cold mornings x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cowl is gorgeous, the colours and the pattern. Isn't fabulous to have access to all these wonderful patterns and yarns! We really are spoilt for choice.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful, I love those colours together, more practical than a scarf
    Sue Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, that looks great! Pretty colours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cowls too, so practical and yet stylish. The colors you chose are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cowl, I love the color you chose.
    You did a nice job!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Marisa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that cowl . . . it will sure feel good on a cold winter day. I think that the bag you made in the post before this is delightful. You did such a great job :)

    Thanks for visiting . . . little Blue Mouse.
    You know you are the only mouse I allow in my house :)
    Thanks for the sweet comment.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fantastic, much cosier than a scarf and such a beautiful colour! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cowl looks nice and toasty. Beautiful colours that you have mixed together. I agree sometimes long scarfs get in the way I never know what to do with the ends!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! And it sure looks cosy :D

    ReplyDelete