Tuesday, 16 November 2010


My daughter asked me to make her a strapless dress with a tulip style skirt.  We looked all over but couldn't find a pattern so I used a pattern for a bridesmaid dress I made for myself years ago for the bodice, and made one out of newspaper for the skirt part.  Even though I've made lots of clothes, I'm not confident to make my own pattern so I had a practice run using an old duvet cover so as not to spoil her fabric.
It's a good job I did because I was putting two pleats in the front but when I was working out how much wider to make it I only calculated for one so I had to make them a lot smaller and I ended up cutting the back out twice due to not adding in a seam allowance.
This is the first one:

And this is the second:

I added a back split to this one because she found  she couldn't walk upstairs in the other!


  1. I think you're a pretty clever mama. Nice job. And the fabric is scrumptious!

  2. It's a beautiful dress, great fit and fabulous fabric. xxx