Wednesday 10 November 2010

UFOs

Today I'm showing my unfinished objects in the hope that it will spur me on to finish some of them.

First up is is a bag I'm knitting from recycled carrier bags.  It's taken me an age to do as I knit far too tightly and it hurts my fingers after a while with the plastic yarn.  Also when I last got it out I found that one of the bags I used must be a biodegradable one as it's breaking up.  Luckily it was one very small bag so it's only a small patch but unluckily it's at the beginning and I don't want to take it all the way back.  I'm hoping I can undo it from the bottom and reknit it because I'm sure in the old days people would redo worn cuffs on jumpers but I'm not sure how to.




Next is a patchwork that I started when I used to work as a train announcer and the night shifts were very quiet.  That was in the '80s and I made a lot of my clothes at the time and I've only used fabric which was left over so that it would bring back memories at a later date.






Here are my scraps including some that are already cut up into diamonds and some that are ready to add.


I don't know what to do with it.  It's about 90cm x 75cm.  I thought of making it into a bag or maybe a wall hanging and using some fabric from dresses I've made since for my daughter as an edging.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and don't worry if you happen across this sometime in the future - I may still be waiting for inspiration!

 


 Next is a case I made for my camera a couple of months ago.  After I thought I'd finished it I realised that it could do with an extra strip round the lid with velcro or something on.  The outside is from a waterproof pump bag one of the kid's got when they opened an Halifax account and the inside is from a skirt I made (or not -more about that later) with some wadding between for protection.





Next is the aforementioned skirt which I also started in the '80s and is pretty much sewed up apart from the waistband and the lining . Oh and the hem.





Another skirt which has only a couple of seams sewn





In all honesty these are not the sort of thing I would wear nowadays so I don't think I'll finish them.


And then there is a some knitting which I also did when I worked nights and I wouldn't wear now - one was even for a boyfriend I had at the time, and there's no pattern in the last one.







I got some hexagon shaped canvasses off Freecycle that I can't decide what to do with.  They need a lot of space when arranged like this:


So I'm thinking of putting them up the stairs something like this but I don't know how I'm going to paint them yet. 




And last but not least is a blouse that my Mum started (so that's where I get it from) in the 1950s.  It was a cut out and ready to sew blouse from a magazine and the postmark on the envelope is 1958.  I'd like to see this finished.



And there we have it, unless I remember something else.

3 comments:

  1. You are going to be busy! I love the blouse your mum started sewing, what a stunning colour.
    Those knitted bags are marvellous, I used to know a lady who made sunhats from old carrier bags.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Your word verification just spelt SLAPPERS x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time I hear "The train now standing at platform 1 is the 12.37 to Swindon" I will think of the person doing a lovely bit of needlework at the same time. Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't always finish what she starts..

    ReplyDelete